- Boil pasta.
- While pasta boils, saute mashed garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Toss in panko, let the crumbs toast a bit. Remove to a bowl, grate parmesan on top, mix in.
- Return the pan to stove, add more olive oil and mashed garlic.
- Drain pasta, add to pan with olive oil and garlic. Toss to coat.
- While that continues to cook, place second skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Carefully crack 1-2 eggs into it. Cover. Let cook over medium until the whites get firm. (You can add 1 tablepoon water to help steam.)
- Place pasta on dish, toss with panko, and gently slide eggs on top.
Baked Cod and Wilted Spinach with Parmesan Panko Crumbs
12 ounces cod fillets
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
6 cups (9 ounces by weight) baby spinach, torn
1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place fish in a shallow oven-safe dish. Sprinkle with your preferred seasonings (I used Penzey’s Sunny Paris and Dill Weed.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or when the fish begins to flake apart. (Start checking for that at 20 minutes.)
- While the fish is baking, preheat a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the panko crumbs. Toss frequently to prevent burning.
- Then the crumbs begin to get toast colored, add the parmesan cheese. Toss to combine and remove from the heat.
- In the last 5 minutes of the fish cooking, heat a large (10-11 inch) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Let it cook for a minute, and then add the spinach. (If you use a smaller skillet, you will need to do half at a time.
- Toss the spinach frequently. You want the spinach to wilt, not fry. This will start slowly at first, but when the leaves start collapsing it will finish quickly.
- Remove the spinach from the heat before all the leaves are wilted. Ideally, only about half the leaves will be soft and wilted when you remove the skillet from the burner. (They will continue to wilt as they sit in the pan.)
- Add half the spinach to each plate. Top with half the panko-parmesan crumbs. Place half the cod on the plate and serve immediately (this is a dish that will not wait for people to come to the table.)
Nutritional data (for 6 ounces of cod + one portion of spinach):
Calories: 250 (179 cod + 71 spinach)
Fat: 7.3g (2 + 5.3)
Sat fat: 1.3g (0.4 + 0.9)
Chol: 124.7mg (124 + 0.7)
Sodium: 263mg (177 + 90)
Carbs: 4.5g (0 + 4.5)
Fiber: 2g (0 + 2)
Protein: 54.9g (51.8 + 3.1)
You can also use haddock, pollack or just about any white fleshed fish
Add crushed red pepper to the spinach
Replace the parmesan cheese with sesame seeds (and replace the olive oil with sesame oil)