Panko Breaded Chicken with Bourbon-Pecan Butter Sauce, served on Garlicky Sauteed Spinach Serves 4
20 ounces chicken (I used boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Seasoning of your choice (I used Penzy’s Sunny Spain.)
- Cut breasts into one inch wide strips.
- Separate the egg. Throw away the yolk. Add water. Whisk together.
- Place panko crumbs in a shallow dish. Season to taste
- Dip breasts in egg wash. Dredge in crumbs on both sides, and set aside.
- Preheat large (10″ or larger) non-stick pan. Add oil.
- When the oil is hot, carefully lay the chicken in the pan. Let cook until browned, then turn.
- Total cooking time will be 6-10 minutes.
- Removed from heat and cover the keep warm.
Nutritional data (5 ounces of chicken only):
Sat fat: 0g
Sauce (can be made while the chicken cooks):
1 ounce pecans, crushed
2 ounces (1/4 cup) bourbon (or your favorite whiskey)
1 ounce chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- Place pecans in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Toss frequently until getting hot and fragrant (2-3 minutes). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place bourbon and chicken broth in sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add butter. Stir until melted.
- Stir in pecans.
Nutritional data (1 tablespoon sauce):
Sat fat: 2.3g
Garlicky Sauteed Spinach:
1 bag (9 ounce) baby spinach
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
- In the same large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add sliced garlic. Toss for one minute.
- Place fresh spinach in pan.
- Toss repeatedly, until the spinach wilts.
Sat fat: 0.8g
Place spinach on the plate. Top with 5 ounces (three strips) on the spinach. Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce over the chicken.
An alternative to the above uses tilapia fillets. Instead of 20 ounces of chicken, use 16 ounces of tilapia (four fillets). Prepare the meal as above.