Serves:12 (1/4 cup portions)
2 cup pan drippings, with as much floating grease removed as possible
1 cup hot water
Salt and pepper as needed to taste
- Combine equal parts flour and melted butter together (roux). Start with 1/4 cup butter and flour. It’s easy to make more if needed.
- Bring the pan drippings and water to a boil.
- When boiling whisk in small amounts of roux until you get the consistency that you desire. The gravy will continue to thicken as it cools on the table.
- Using a roux and whisking while adding the roux to the boiling liquids will reduce or eliminate lumps.
- You can add finely minced cooked turkey liver for more flavor. Alternatively, you can also replace some water with beer or wine.
Nutritional data (approximate, will vary with the consistency of the pan drippings):
Sat fat: 4.1g