Basic Poultry Stuffing
18 slices bread, toasted and cubed (Healthy Life brand, Whole Wheat)
2 tablespoon olive oil
Seasoning as desired
2 large onions, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 strips of bacon
- Either purchase bread cubes or make your own. I laid out 18 slices of bread, brushed one surface with olive oil, and seasoned the bread with sage, onion powder, garlic powder and ground celery seed.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lay prepared bread on baking sheets (or directly on the grates.)
- Fry bacon until crumbly. Crumble and set aside.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Saute onion and celery over medium heat until the onions caramelize and the celery softens (10-15 minutes.)
- Add garlic, sage and pepper in the last minute of cooking the onion and celery.
- In three quart oven-safe dish, add half the onions-celery and bread cubes. Stir to mix, and add chicken stock to moisten, but not soak.
- Add remaining bread cubes and onions and half the crumbled bacon. Add more stock. Again, you want the mixture moist, but not soupy. The amount of stock will depend on how dry the bread is.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes uncovered (or until hot enough for you.) This only needs to be heated, there is nothing to cook.
- Five minutes before it is finished, sprinkle remaining bacon over the top. Add additional chicken stock if it seems too dry.
You can substitute wine or beer for half of the chicken stock, if preferred, for a slightly different flavor.
Sat fat: 2g