Cornbread and Homemade BBQ Sauce (served with grilled chicken thighs and grilled carrots)
Make sure you read to the bottom and answer the simple question.
1 cup whole kernel corn (either canned, frozen–but thawed before using–or fresh cooked on the cob)
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons oil (I used olive)
1 1/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons Splenda (or you can use sugar or another low-cal sweetener)
1/2 teaspoon baking power
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare a 9″ square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add corn, egg, milk and olive oil to a food processor (or blender). Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all remaining dry ingredients. (Using a wire whisk works best because as it blends the ingredients evenly it also incorporates air into the mix, which will lighten the batter a bit.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir just until evenly mixed. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. The batter will be stiff. With your pixing spoon, spread it into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven). Test with a toothpick in several different spots. When it comes out clean, it is done.
- Cut into 9 even pieces. Serve warn or chilled.
- In a non-stick skillet, add all ingredients over med-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Stay with this. You want it to boil off liquid but not burn. You will need to stir continuously.
- Boil off about 1/4 of the volume. It will get thick, but pourable (when warm.) This will take about 5 minutes.
- The larger the skillet the faster this will happen (more surface area to boil off the water.)
Question for today:
What is your preferred non-internet based source of recipes (magazine, specific cookbook or specific TV show.)