1 cup regular (not instant, not steel-cut) oatmeal
1 cup skim milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar
- Soak oatmeal in the milk for 1 hour in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- After the oatmeal is finished soaking, stir in applesauce and egg whites.
- Gently mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir only enough to combine evenly.
- Spray non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Divide batter between cups.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mix over muffins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes (depending on your oven). Muffins are finished baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This muffin is delicious as is, or can be modified as desired.
Alternatives and Options:
Replace applesauce with 1/2 cup mashed banana.
Replace applesauce with 1/2 cup pumpkin.
Add 1/2 cup chopped apples or pears.
Add 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, or other dried fruits.
Add 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries or blackberries.
Add additional spices to the mix (cinnamon, nutmeg and/or allspice would be good.)
If you aren’t afraid of higher calories, replace the applesauce with peanut butter.
2 thoughts on “Oatmeal Muffins”
I’m going to try the pumpkin recipe, sounds good!
Toni, thanks for your response. We made the pumpkin version and they are really good. Let me know here what you think!
Comments are closed.