This was one of my entries into the 2014 Mezzetta Make That Sandwich contest.
Beer Battered Tilapia, with White Tartar
- Combined the first four ingredients.
- Mix in egg.
- Slowly add the beer while stirring to prevent lumps. This should be a thin batter. You may only need 12 ounce, but 16 is more likely. When you dip the fish into it, you should still be able to see the fish through the thin layer of batter. (If you have extra, drink it!)
- Heat oil to 375F (using a thermometer is recommended.
- Dry the fish fillets.
- Mix all ingredients for the red tartar while waiting for the oil to get to temperature. (The sauce can be made a day in advance for better flavor.)
- When the oil is hot, dip the fillets into the batter, and carefully lower into the oil. Depending on the size of your fryer, you may only be able to fry one fillet at a time.
- When the fish is beginning to brown, carefully turn it over. Total cook time will be 6-10 minutes, depending on the temperature of the oil and fish.
- While the fish is frying, prepare the bun. Toast the cut surface.
- Lay lettuce on the bottom. When the fish is done, and drained, lay on the lettuce and top with 1 tablespoon red tartar.
- Mix all ongredients together and chill. Making this a day in advance is recommended for best flavor.