Asian Steak with Asparagus and Mushrooms
1 pound lean beef steak, 1/2 inch thick
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
2 discs of fresh ginger, 1/8 inch thick, sliced into matchsticks
2 cloves of garlic, mashed and chopped
1 pound asparagus, chopped into 2 inch lengths
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoon Hoisin sauce (optional, but important)
Salt and pepper
Chinese Five Spice powder (optional, but important)
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper to taste. Also use a touch of five spice powder. Set aside.
2. Heat a large non-stick skillet. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
3. When hot, add onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add mushrooms and asparagus. Toss to mix.
5. Add water, vinegar and Hoisin sauce. Stir, turn heat to high and cover.
6. Heat a second non-stick skillet (11 inch). When hot, add the remaining sesame oil.
7. Pan fry steaks, about 2 minutes per side.
8. Turn the heat off the vegetables. They should be hot, but a bit crunchy.
9. Remove the steaks, and cut into strips, about 2 inches long and a 1/2 inch wide.
Sat fat: 4.6g