Serves: 48 spears
2-4 one quart jars with lids.
12 small pickle cucumbers (approximately 4 inches long)
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
3 cups white vinegar
4 cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
2.5 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
2 teaspoon dill seed
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon celery seed
10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Wash pickles. Slice lengthwise into quarters.
- Wash the jars and lids, let air dry.
- Combine the vinegar, water, and next 7 ingredients in a 2-3 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil, let boil for 5 minutes.
- While the vinegar mixture comes to a boil, pack the pickles and onions into the jars, evenly divided. (I simply used a 1 gallon jar, put the onions on the bottom and the pickle spears on top.)
- Cut the fresh dill into four inch lengths. Slide the dill segments into the jar, between and around the pickle spears. (Use as much as you want. More dill makes more flavor. I used most of a two foot long bundle.)
- After five minutes of boiling, pour the hot sauce into the jars.
- Cover and refrigerate.