Caramel Cashew Chex Mix
Make a lot! Assuming 1 ounce by weight, this will make about 50 portions
12-14 ounce box of Chex, Crispix or similar breakfast cereal
12 ounces cashews
2 sticks butter (unsalted is best)
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup corn syrup
½ teaspoon baking soda
Large paper grocery bag
1. Pour cereal into grocery bag. Add cashews.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter.
3. Add brown sugar and corn syrup.
4. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add baking soda, stir to mix. This will make the syrup foamy.
6. Pour over nuts and cereal.
7. Scrunch the bag down so it will fit into your microwave, and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
8. Carefully stir everything, and scrunch the bag down, microwaving on high for 2 more minutes.
9. Carefully pour mix onto buttered cookie sheets. (Wax paper does NOT work, even if buttered. Peeling shreds of paper off the candy is less fun than it sounds.) Spread into an even layer, let cool and harden.
10. Break into small pieces and store in an airtight container, preferably not where I can get at it.
Sat fat: 3.2g