BLT Pasta Salad
Serves Approximately 16 (one cup portions)
1 pound shell pasta
8 slices of thick-cut bacon (ideally, low sodium)
1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
5 ounces fresh arugala
1 bunch green onions, sliced, greens and whites
- Bring a large kettle to a boil. Salt the water. When boiling, add the pasta and cook until “al dente”, 8-10 minutes.
- While the pasta boils, fry bacon until crispy. Chop and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Return the skilletto stove over medium heat. Add the garlic and tomatoes, and cook over medium-high heat until the tomatoes begin to soften (2 minutes.)
- Drain the pasta, saving 2 cups of the pasta water.
- Return the hot pasta back to the kettle.
- Add the arugala and stir gently.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic, the green onion and one cup of the reserved water. Stir to mix.
- Top with bacon, and more pasta water if you think it needs it.
- This can be served warm or cold.
Nutritional data for one cup:
Sat fat: 0.6g
You can increase the health benefits by using a high fiber pasta, but Tammy and I don’t eat pasta that often and we simply prefer the “regular” white pasta.
Don’t forget to listen to my podcast, Make Your Someday Today! It is a motivational and weight loss podcast, featuring interviews with musicians, athletes, artists, entrepreneurs and weight loss success stories from around the world. I also answer listener questions, and beginning with Episode 49, I give my “Recipe of the Week!”