Wilted Lettuce Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Serves 2-4 (depending on the portion size)
1 large head of leaf lettuce (red or green), torn into pieces, carefully rinsed and laid out to dry.
- Place lettuce into a large salad serving bowl.
- Set aside.
- 4 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar (you can also use Splenda or Stevia–I used Splenda in the numbers below. Table sugar would add 21 calories per portion.)
- 2 tablespoons warm bacon grease
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, chopped.
- Just before service, place in microwave and bring to a boil.
- Stir to make sure the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over prepared salad and toss to coat.
- The salad is ready when the lettuce is starting to wilt from the heat of the dressing.
Question for you:
Would you prefer this with beef, pork, chicken or fish? Why?