Spaghetti Squash Boat
1 medium spaghetti squash
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red (or green) bell pepper, sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional ingredients: jalapeno peppers, diced cherry tomatoes, diced ham
- Pierce the skin of the squash in many places. Place in microwave and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- While the squash cooks, pre-heat a non-stick saute pan.
- Add oil and saute the onions and peppers until the onions begin to get translucent and soft (4-6 minutes). Turn the heat off.
- When the squash is done in the microwave, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- With a fork, pull out the squash. It will come out in long shreds, similar in shape to strands of spaghetti. Pull the squash out of both halves and place in a bowl.
- Combine squash meat, onions, peppers and cheese. Place in one of the squash shells.
- Place in an 8×8 baking pan (or similar). If the squash will not rest without tipping, use a piece aluminum foil, rolled into a tube, and then shaped into a ring to use as a base. (In fact, just plan to need it.)
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until the top begins to brown.
Sat fat: 3.2g
Note: If you are making this for a large meal and are very busy with other menu items, this could be prepared in advance. Follow the directions above, but stop after step 7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate1-2 days. When ready to finish, preheat oven to 350, and cover the squash loosely with aluminum foil for 25 minutes. Then remove foil, and let it finish for another 15. (That should get it entirely heated. The foil will prevent excess browning.)