Pork Schnitzel Sandwiches on Rye
4 pork cutlets, 3-4 ounce each
1/8 c flour
Seasoning (I used Penzey’s Bavarian Style Seasoning)
1 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon cooking oil (corn, canola or safflower)
- Cover a large plate with parchment paper.
- Coat cutlets in flour.
- Dip in egg wash.
- Press in panko crumbs, pushing firmly to help it adhere.
- Place cutlets on the parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (This helps the breading bond to the meat.)
- Preheat non-stick skillet. Add oil.
- Fry each cutlet until brown and crispy (3 minutes per side.)
- Serve on rye bread with sliced red onion, lettuce and brown mustard.
I served this sandwich with my homemade low-sodium pickles.
And since it is October, and this was a German dish, I needed a nice beer from my friend Brad at Stillmank Brewing to go with it.