Pork Steak with Basil Pesto and Mozzarella, with Grilled Baby Carrots
2 pounds pork chops or pork shoulder steaks (four pieces)
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons water
1 cup flour with the seasoning of your choice (I used 1/2 teaspoon Penzey’s Sunny Spain)
1 cup panko bread crumbs with an Italian-type seasoning (I used 1 teaspoon of Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset.)
2 ounces finely shredded mozzarella
1 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon water
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Separate eggs. Throw away the yolks (or cook them and feed them to your dog. Ozzy loves the treat!) Whisk with the water, and set in a large shallow dish.
3. Mix seasoned flour in a shallow dish (serving platter works well.)
4. Mix panko bread crumbs with seasoning.
5. Dip each piece of meat in the flour mix, the egg wash and the panko crumbs (pressing down to help the crumbs adhere to the meat.) Set aside.
6. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Cook each piece of meat over medium-high heat, for 2 minutes per side or until lightly browned, and place on an oven-safe pan. When all meat is done, place pan in oven and bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the meat is cooked to 165F in the middle.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle 1/2 ounce of cheese on each.
8. While the pork is baking, mix together all ingredients for the pesto in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, remove and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir to mix well.
9. Serve 1 tablespoon pesto on each piece of meat.
Nutritional Data (for 8 ounces pork steak–lean pork chops will have lower numbers):
Sat fat: 7.8g
Nutritional Data (for 1 tablespoon pesto):
Sat fat: 1g
In case you are wondering, the garnish is fresh chives from my garden, harvested just before the blossoms open. This is when they taste the best, blossom and all.
2 pounds baby carrots
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Penzey’s Sunny Paris
1. About 1 hour before the meal is to be served, place carrots in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the wine, loosely cover and microwave for 8-10 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking.
2. Remove from the microwave, drain any wine off. Top with olive oil and seasoning. Toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Start preheating grill and grill basket on high about 20 minutes before dinner will be served.
4. Ten minutes before service, place carrots in grill basket. Toss occasionally. Let the carrots get a little brown.
5. Remove and serve with a hint of dill.
Sat fat: 1g