Bake Avocado Fries
1 ripe avocado, seeded and sliced into 8 wedges
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon corn meal (but you will only use about 1 teaspoon–the rest just makes it easier to work with.)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Your preferred spices and herbs
- Preheat oven to 450. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix corn meal with spices (I used garlic powder.)
- Mix herbs with panko crumbs (I used dried basil.)
- Coat avocado wedges in corn meal.
- Whisk egg white and water until lightly frothy.
- Dip each wedge in egg white, one at a time. Roll in panko crumbs and set on prepared cookie sheet.
- Baked until browned (16-20 minutes, depending on your oven.)
Serve warm with a sauce or dip. This recipe went well with a ranch salad dressing.
Special thanks go to Andrew Carpenter for sending me a picture of this recipe.
Since I had never made this recipe before, I several versions. I also tried a version using a thin Greek yogurt wash (2 tablespoons yogurt with 2 tablespoons milk.) It had no better flavor than the egg wash version, but the egg wash created a better crunch. I also tmade a southwestern style, replacing the garlic powder with chili powder and dried cilantro for the basil. That tasted good with a spicy sauce (I like Sriracha.)
I considered not using the corn meal coating, but I opted to use it because the corn meal coating helps the egg wash stick to the avocado, creating a better crunch. It only adds about 5 calories and 1 gram of carbs to each serving.
Sat fat: 1.5g